Thursday, September 2, 2010

Mod Podge Cigar Box

My Dad smokes cigars, we have tried everything to get him to stop, and nothing has worked so far...So he had me stop and get him some a couple of weeks ago and the nicest lady works there and she gave me a cigar box.  It has set on my entertainment center since then. The box is beautiful wood but I was not a fan of it saying that it is a cigar box on the top, so I decided that some Mod Podge would fix that little problem. I pulled out all of my scrapbook paper and found some really neat kind of tribal paper that would look great in my bedroom since I wanted to use it as a jewelry box. Its a really simple project and I'm sure that you can go into any cigar shop and get a box for free or just a couple of dollars.




Supplies:
Cigar Box
Scrap Book Paper
Mod Podge
Pencil
Scissors
Sand Paper









First trace the top of your box on the scrapbook paper

Then cut it out.

Coat the top in Mod Podge.

Then center your paper on the box and rub all the air bubbles out.

Then coat the top in another layer of Mod Podge.

Let that dry and then sand the edges of the box to make the paper flush with the box.

And now you have a brand new jewelry box!




Visit thecsiproject.com

7 comments:

  1. Pretty! Next time I see a cigar box at an estate sale, I will have to pick it up and try this project. Even though I do not smoke cigars, I do admit I love the aroma of some of the more fragrant ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. I have a bunch of cigar boxes laying around from the cigar man who throws them away at the golf course I work out. Now I know what to do with them. I could use them for gifts :)

    www.theelephantstrunk42.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I always forget about cigar boxes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you get the cigar smell out? I have one laying around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try putting a charcoal lump in it and close it. Charcoal absorbs odors.

      Delete
  5. I just got into altered cigar boxes and when I've added modge podge to the card stock, the card stock puckers. I had not thought about sanding it to make it flush with the box. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to a cigar store and he gave me three. Going to make trinket boxes for my besties for christmas

    ReplyDelete